The Edge of LotR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Edge of LotR

A place for players and DMs to talk about the NWN server 'The Edge of LotR'

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Server having probs?

Go down 
+2
Rashanka
kyre
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Rashanka

Server having probs? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 6:24 am

Damnit! And I bet you it was me. I wanted to get a keep a copy of the conversation I was having with Fehrin so I used my quick login - which uses direct-connect. Ten minutes later and thing falls over.

As for a DM or player getting to such a device, you may have noticed that the server doesn't fail all at once. It's more what I like to refer to as a cascade of failures. Tree seems to think it's a result of ever-increasing lag. A player or DM would just have to be aware of what was going on and be prepared to push the lever or pull the button before it became too late to reverse the meltdown.

Just think of yourselves as Riply changing her mind about blowing up the Nostromo and you'll get the idea.

Hopefully you/we will be more successful however. Wink
Back to top Go down
Mister_Deepockent

Mister_Deepockent

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 6:38 am

I'm telling you - it has to do with the direct connection. It's ALWAYS the direct connection. Always.

And hopefully, we will. We'll do it as a team!

By the way - I don't suppose you have the capability to reset the server? Not that I'll be on when/if you do, that is; I'm going to bed. *Is sick with whatever crawled into his system and became determined to drive him insane*
Back to top Go down
TreeWalker

TreeWalker

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 4:14 pm

I tried a couple of ways to use an automated reset. And unfortunately even manually I can't seem to get the server to log correctly when I do so? GODS I HATE hardware stuff. I think I'll just do a general rest before I go to work everynight. And one at around 5pm before I crash on Mondays.
Back to top Go down
Mister_Deepockent

Mister_Deepockent

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 6:08 pm

That should work. Not to mention it'll keep the server a lot less laggy. You might want to try implementing an override script that'll reset the server every 8 hours or so?
Back to top Go down
Mister_Deepockent

Mister_Deepockent

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 7:44 pm

10:42 AM, EST. Server down. Usual symptoms. We suspect it may be related to the gathering system, though it may just be a coincidence. Azur reports that when she tries to gather Mushrooms, the server generally goes down a short time after that. You may want to look into that.
Back to top Go down
Rashanka

Rashanka

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 7:49 pm

Possibly failing to gather mushrooms.
Back to top Go down
Hermes457

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 8:00 pm

Hi there, too bad my first post is to relate a bug but if it help solving it, it'll be worthy.

What happened exactly, the two last time the server broke, was this: I approached a mushroom as we normally do to gather it but then nothing happened. As if the script didn't work. No action, no yellow text telling me if I was successful or if I failed, just nothing. It's odd though as a few days ago gathering mushrooms worked fine for me.

Coincidence? Let's try this next time Tree is on.
Back to top Go down
Mister_Deepockent

Mister_Deepockent

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 8:24 pm

Hermes457 wrote:
Hi there, too bad my first post is to relate a bug but if it help solving it, it'll be worthy.

What happened exactly, the two last time the server broke, was this: I approached a mushroom as we normally do to gather it but then nothing happened. As if the script didn't work. No action, no yellow text telling me if I was successful or if I failed, just nothing. It's odd though as a few days ago gathering mushrooms worked fine for me.

Coincidence? Let's try this next time Tree is on.

It may or may not be - I'm not entirely sure. Though it's entirely possible that it could be the case. I'm not sure at all how it would happen, but hopefully Tree'll be able to check it back when she gets back from taking her kids to school.
Back to top Go down
TreeWalker

TreeWalker

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 8:46 pm

sighs* i wasn't even gone for an hour. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mister_Deepockent

Mister_Deepockent

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 8:53 pm

Yeah, I know. It literally went down right after you logged out. Which makes me suspicious of the disconnection of direct connected tools. But the Mushrooms, as well.
Back to top Go down
Fehrin

Fehrin

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 9:06 pm

The mushroom cause sounds fishy to me. (No pun intended) because I've harvested several mushrooms Easily, raised my mycology skill while doing so, you just need a 'tree pruner' knife with you. (or you should).
Back to top Go down
TreeWalker

TreeWalker

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 9:07 pm

yeah it seems to make more sense that it happened when I logged off
Back to top Go down
Mister_Deepockent

Mister_Deepockent

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 9:13 pm

Azur was noticing the coincidence that it seemed to happen when she harvested mushrooms. I'd look into it. But I'd also look into what happened during your disconnection, and see if any of that might have triggered it.
Back to top Go down
Rashanka

Rashanka

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 2:54 am

Keep in mind that no-one logged on or off while we were checking Sauroman's gear.
Back to top Go down
Mister_Deepockent

Mister_Deepockent

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 3:32 am

6:28 P.M, EST. Server down. Usual symptoms. Started with fire stuff, first noted by DogFaceMan/KaeBear. Azur reported mushroom functionality. She said she tested it, and now the server is broken. I logged in right as it was happening, or so, apparently. No direct connection involved on my part.
Back to top Go down
Hermes457

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 3:54 am

By the way my char has the appropriate tool for mushroom gathering and successfully did it several time in the past. So it's a new bug, how new it is? Did anyone is having success with mushrooms lately? And I don't understand much about scripts but isn't it possible that the action trigger an error (script failure in this case) that grows and finally break every single script? Doesn't seem that odd to me as it looks like a global script failure.

Oh and now it's the 3rd time the server breaks after mushroom thingy, 3 times and coincidence yet?
Back to top Go down
Mister_Deepockent

Mister_Deepockent

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 4:04 am

Without testing, I don't really see how we can classify it as anything more than a coincidence. It does, however, seem a mite bit odd that it happens when you attempt to harvest mushrooms. Though, as I recall, shortly after the server started breaking down, we got a new player. It's possible they direct connected.
Back to top Go down
TreeWalker

TreeWalker

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 4:19 am

server is reset once again
Back to top Go down
Mister_Deepockent

Mister_Deepockent

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 6:17 am

Thanks, Tree. Got Goili up to 17 in Moria. Gonna take off for the evening, though. Hopefully we can figure out what's behind the server doldrum-ey-ness soon.
Back to top Go down
Mister_Deepockent

Mister_Deepockent

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 7:42 pm

Server's down for the past few hours, from what I can tell. Usual symptoms. The deactivity seemed more staggered this time, according to Rash and Hermes.
Back to top Go down
Mister_Deepockent

Mister_Deepockent

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 7:00 pm

Just logged in - 9:56 A.M. EST. Stable Masters won't talk to me. Selective NPCs down. Flint/Tinder down. Domino Effect has begun.
Back to top Go down
Mister_Deepockent

Mister_Deepockent

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 11:52 pm

Alright. Are we down until we get this worked out?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Server having probs?   Server having probs? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Server having probs?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2