The Edge of LotR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Edge of LotR

A place for players and DMs to talk about the NWN server 'The Edge of LotR'

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Server focus

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rashanka

Rashanka

Server focus Empty
PostSubject: Server focus   Server focus Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:24 am

The original focus of our server (before Tree got her hands on it) was, basically, PvP and 'Grinding'. Tree, and I, would like to change that.

As such, we are contemplating the conversion of all native inhabitants in cities & towns to the 'Commoner' faction. This means Tree could remove all the 'Town Defenders' and free-up an enormous amount of server resources at the same time. The theory is, there's no reason a city guard should be able to tell at a glance whose side you are on, therefore, why introduce the ability? Towns should not be conquerable by one, or even a dozen invaders. It should take an army to invade and take a city successfully.

The thought goes further to the idea of making various 'racial territories' where, if your ears aren't the right shape, or your beard isn't long enough, you might be treated rather rudely, unless you can do someone a favour.

This is not to say that there won't be areas a player could go to work up their levels, just that they won't be able to do it by kicking down the gates of a city and running their swords through a bushell-load of Town Defenders while the towns-people stand around like nothing has happened.

The whole idea is to take the emphasis away from combat & PvP and aim it more towards RP. We both know that you can't force people to RP, but this seems like the best way to encourage it.

Thoughts please. We'd like to know what people think of the idea in general and any other points they might think relevant.
Back to top Go down
TreeWalker

TreeWalker

Server focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server focus   Server focus Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 2:01 pm

In addition to the points Rash stated here, I'd like to note that we are NOT taking PvP out of the server. NOR are we taking out all Eye verses Free Alliance conquering ect ect. There will always be areas that are made to be combat heavy. Now we just will be making the combat heavy to both Free Alliance members AND The Eye until you prove you worth to either side. These area would include for example: Isengard, unless you are a Half Orc. And the Mirkwood/Lothlorien, unless you are elven. The Fangorn regardless of race/alliance. Carn Dum, unless you are Half Orc. Iron Hills unless you are dwarven. ect ect. This will take me some time to adjust the present spawns and creatures in the server, but it will eliminate three consistant problems we had previously. 1. As Rash stated, by removing defenders from established areas such as Rivendel, Minas Tirith, Barad Dur and Minas Morgal I can make those areas less lag intensive. 2. There will no longer be a conflict for lower level players to "wander" accidently into a non gated hostile area and get killed needless. This will of course depend completely on the PC's ability to roleplay his character appropriately with the storyline. Minas Morgal and Barad Dur will still be behind heavily defended areas where overpowered armies of Orcs and Trolls wander. Minas Tirith is gated to only allow Free Alliance members in easily. ect. And just for those griefers the inevitably will try to kill anything and everything in sight, we will have the joy of letting plotted NPCs take them out of the server for us. 3. By removing the instant on perceptions of Good vs Evil, it will make multipartying with ANYONE in the server possible. After all, not only is not very reasonable for a Town Defender to instantly perceive your alliance but it shouldn't be obvious to your fellow PC. And it shouldn't be given away just because you entered a town, but thru active roleplay.
Back to top Go down
Frost

Frost

Server focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server focus   Server focus Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 pm

Wow. This is a tough topic, if I've ever seen one.
In the past, the server had a massive issue with 'gankers' and people, who considered the RP either completely absent or a kind of shackle, to be worn at all times.

Unfortunately, the promotion of RP invites the latter kind.
I don't want to be told that a paladin can not turn evil and be a fallen paladin. People change sides, even if the protagonists in the books did not, just remember Saruman.
If such a drastic change is supposed to work out in the long run, the GMs will have to keep a wary eye on what I will simply call 'RP-nazis'.
After all, everybody enjoying the game in their own way is perhaps the most desirable form of gameplay, that one can reasonably aim for.

Do I approve of NPCs not immediately recognizing my allegiance? Heck yes.
However (and I am not at all sure if this is possible), perhaps a faction system would do well. So psychotic fallen paladins slaughtering and maiming Rohan's guards, will eventually lead to the guards knowing the faces of the offenders and attacking them on sight.

Finally, many people enjoy gaining levels and wielding ungodly powers, slaughtering legendary enemies solo and owning more gold than the rest of the server combined.
This is often seen as 'powergaming' (a derogatory term) and massively frowned upon.
If nothing else, this must be something we root out while we still can. Elitist brotherhoods of 'die hard roleplayers' are dime a dozen.
A friendly community, that accepts all playstyles as long as they don't ruin anybody else's day, that is rare. And that is the kind of goal I would personally go for.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/shockfrosted/Home
Sponsored content

Server focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server focus   Server focus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Server focus
Page 1 of 1