The Edge of LotR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Edge of LotR

A place for players and DMs to talk about the NWN server 'The Edge of LotR'

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Some Suggestions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Fehrin

Fehrin

Some Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Some Suggestions   Some Suggestions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 9:14 am

Some things that I can think of that would, in my opinion, add some realism to the mod;

In faction-controlled lands, such as the Shire, Bree, Minas Tirith, and Rohan (for Free Alliance), add travelling merchants on non-monster populated roads (or add in some non-spawning roads between such areas) Where travelling merchants can be found, not your typical weapon or armor merchants, but maybe merchants with odds and ends, music instruments, fireworks (would be quite interesting), food of all sorts, and so on, merchants travelling between friendly cities should have no need for many guards or to lug along hundreds of pounds of weapons and armor.

I've noticed a heavy lack of books, both magical and roleplay-purposed, it might be helpful to lower and higher level players alike to add bookstores to both Free Alliance and Eye cities, with, perhaps recipes for cooking, or tradeskills and things of like nature, as well as books with local lore and such to help people find their way.

Map-making with the map kits is a wonderful skill, I love it to death, perhaps there's a way to expand it further and create something like an atlas for maps of certain sets of areas? I don't know if that would be possible at all, but say if you created a set of all the areas around bree, you could then use a second 'special power' on one of those maps to condense them all into a single atlas.

A second board outside of all of the inns in the mod, named something like a 'Request Board' where players could post requests or quests for other players to take, it would help with roleplay AND give higher level players the ability to help lower-level players, both in obtaining a certain item, or granting them rewards for doing menial tasks or things that they don't have the time to do themselves, I've thought of using the scribe and message board for that but it doesn't make much sense to me, honestly.
Back to top Go down
TreeWalker

TreeWalker

Some Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: nice ideas   Some Suggestions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 11:55 am

I suck at factions. *sighs* But I'll see what i can find out. I have been trying to work on something just to make the battle of the Bridge of Osgilliath work. And Umber come to think of it. Both lands frequently contested in the war for the Ring.

I truly like your wandering merchant Idea, and can see where that would be fun and applicable. Will take some time though.

As for Books, believe it or not there are quite a few magical ones, but in specialized places only. Or in specialized treasure only. There is a merchant in Bree and Tharbad and the Druedan forest that sells books on crafting. Theses books can also be found. Now as for books of Lore, simple information of the land, I would LOVE to get a bunch of books specific to LOTR made up and tossed around the land. Of course that requires a bunch of time. And volunteers to make up books would be greatly appreciated. I could even toss in some special skills for "using" such books such as perhaps a book on Athelas which increases your heal skill by one point ect. A library in Minas Tirith and Isengard is very reasonable as well.

'And I'm not sure what you want exactly with the boards? I can place message boards in major cities? But they are global and would simple repeat the same messages found on every board. I think I saw a script set somewhere in my files for makeing personal messages on blank pages? Let me think about this one for a bit. I'll see what I can do.

As for the Map Kits. Smile Well those are again a tradeskill set that i'm not sure i could improve on. But i'll look into it.
Back to top Go down
Fehrin

Fehrin

Some Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions   Some Suggestions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 7:18 pm

For the travelling merchants you wouldn't have to mess with factions or anything, just put them in faction-controlled lands, like one going between Bree and the Shire would be feasible, and one going between, say, Barad-Dur and Minas Morgul, somewhere out of the way of alot of the Faction fighting.

TreeWalker wrote:

'And I'm not sure what you want exactly with the boards? I can place message boards in major cities? But they are global and would simple repeat the same messages found on every board. I think I saw a script set somewhere in my files for makeing personal messages on blank pages? Let me think about this one for a bit. I'll see what I can do.

Hrmm....Honestly just a different set for the quest board, aside from the message board (it would get too confusing), outside of the inns of Middle Earth, you wouldn't have to use any new scripts or anything if you can figure out a way to do that.
Maybe make it a new placeable that looks like a bulletin board of some sort?
Back to top Go down
TreeWalker

TreeWalker

Some Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions   Some Suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 2:44 am

oh I thought you meant to make faction CONTROLLED lands. Hahaha. Sorry, reading when sleep deprived is not good for communication or scripting.

The Merchants are not that difficult to put together on a random spawning trigger. And I can make them "faction controlled" even. I could make all the merchants factioned, I just haven't gotten to it yet.

As for the message boards, its not placeable driven really. Its use is triggered by a very complicated script that is interwoven with the dm tools. Its actually a databased item tied into the campaign module's data. I'd kinda have to either find a seperate script just for bulletin boards (which i'm positive there are half a dozen out there) or rip out a section of the existing script and make a new database just for the newer boards. Again. I'll have to play with it a bit and see what i can do.
Back to top Go down
Mister_Deepockent

Mister_Deepockent

Some Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions   Some Suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 4:34 am

I think Faction Controlled areas would be cool. . . Claiming an area for whatever faction you belong to. Whether that be a sub faction, or a general faction.
Back to top Go down
Fehrin

Fehrin

Some Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions   Some Suggestions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 5:39 am

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Scripts.Detail&id=229 <-- Quick, simple system that should work perfectly, let me know what you think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Some Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions   Some Suggestions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some Suggestions
Page 1 of 1