The Edge of LotR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Edge of LotR

A place for players and DMs to talk about the NWN server 'The Edge of LotR'

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Just going to throw these out there...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rashanka

Rashanka

Just going to throw these out there... Empty
PostSubject: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 11:25 am

It occurs to me that shopkeepers should be a little more picky about who they sell to.
How 'bout we make them 'Faction aware' in much the same way as the Guardians of Light & Darkness behave to members of the opposite Faction?

Also, What's the thoughts on Quests that not only give xp & gold, but (depending on the quest and how the player behaves to the people involved) shifts their Alignments too?
Back to top Go down
TreeWalker

TreeWalker

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 7:25 pm

Rash my dear, I'm going to leave this up until we get a larger player base. An opinion between just the two of us wouldn't be fair.
Back to top Go down
Ranger of the Pubs

Ranger of the Pubs

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 2:32 am

well i agree with that concerning merchants in say, Gondor or Rivendell.. but evil PCs shouldnt even be able to access those shops without being part of an invading force...lol..
but as far as shops in like , say, bree... I really dont think they would care what alignment you were... lots of shady types passed through/ lurked about there.
Back to top Go down
Rashanka

Rashanka

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Neutral shops were not under consideration. I was thinking more of the 'aligned' shops. Edoras, Gondor, Rivendell, Carn Dum, Mordor, Minas Morgul etc should all be restricted in who they sell to. I killed a room full of Orcs in front of the Cirith Ungol merchant and all he said was "I'll sell to you if you bring me the head of Prince Charming". A bit...incongruous I thought.
Back to top Go down
Ranger of the Pubs

Ranger of the Pubs

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 12:44 am

Rashanka wrote:
Neutral shops were not under consideration. I was thinking more of the 'aligned' shops. Edoras, Gondor, Rivendell, Carn Dum, Mordor, Minas Morgul etc should all be restricted in who they sell to. I killed a room full of Orcs in front of the Cirith Ungol merchant and all he said was "I'll sell to you if you bring me the head of Prince Charming". A bit...incongruous I thought.

Who's "Prince Charming" ? lol
Back to top Go down
Rashanka

Rashanka

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 6:13 am

*throws hands in air* I despair of the modern education...

In this case & specifically; Faramir.

In general, "Bring me the head of Prince Charming" is a book written by Roger Zelazny and Robert Sheckley. A relatively well-known one at that.

*sigh*

*appeals to the the heavens* "I have fallen into the lands of the ungodly"
Back to top Go down
Ranger of the Pubs

Ranger of the Pubs

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 10:11 am

Rashanka wrote:
*throws hands in air* I despair of the modern education...

In this case & specifically; Faramir.

In general, "Bring me the head of Prince Charming" is a book written by Roger Zelazny and Robert Sheckley. A relatively well-known one at that.

*sigh*

*appeals to the the heavens* "I have fallen into the lands of the ungodly"

Well pardon me! I am but a lowly working class construction worker.. not a humanities professor!
some of us have not been soo lucky in life !

---signed sincerely yours,
a humble peasant.
Back to top Go down
Rashanka

Rashanka

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 11:51 am

Laughing Stop grovelling peasant!

Roger Zelazny is a popular SF/Fantasy author. I think he wrote this particular book about 20 yeasr ago, so it's probably more a Geek thing than a Humanities thing; professors don't enter into it.
Back to top Go down
Ranger of the Pubs

Ranger of the Pubs

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 8:08 pm

Rashanka wrote:
Laughing Stop grovelling peasant!

Roger Zelazny is a popular SF/Fantasy author. I think he wrote this particular book about 20 yeasr ago, so it's probably more a Geek thing than a Humanities thing; professors don't enter into it.

hehe Though I've read quite a bit of sci-fi/fantasy in my youth, these days my authors are more along the lines of Marx, Engels, Bachunin...Chomsky.. etc. hehe
Back to top Go down
TreeWalker

TreeWalker

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 2:20 am

Smile I loved the Amber series
Back to top Go down
Rashanka

Rashanka

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 2:23 am

lol! I'm sorry, I just had a mental flash of the Amber series being written by Marx... What a Face
Back to top Go down
TreeWalker

TreeWalker

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 1:04 pm

*tosses a blonde (grey) lock and looks around innocently* Oh I didn't know Roger's middle name was "Marx" Laughing
Back to top Go down
Rashanka

Rashanka

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 1:08 pm

erm... No, that's his Brother...?
Back to top Go down
Rashanka

Rashanka

PostSubject: So... getting back to the topic of the merchants   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 7:39 pm

I've noticed that with only some of the merchants an Appraise check is performed. For those who don't know, a successful Appraise check means better prices with a merchant, while a failed one means worse ones. A Neutral result is also possible, with obvious effects.

What's the feeling on adding the Appraise check to all the merchants?
Back to top Go down
Ranger of the Pubs

Ranger of the Pubs

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 4:11 am

Rashanka wrote:
I've noticed that with only some of the merchants an Appraise check is performed. For those who don't know, a successful Appraise check means better prices with a merchant, while a failed one means worse ones. A Neutral result is also possible, with obvious effects.

What's the feeling on adding the Appraise check to all the merchants?

I kind of like that idea, but its too bad that a system can't be implemented based on your what role your PC might play such as race, etc.. I'd dread the day i happened to see a chaotic evil Uruk appraising away at Rivendell's merchants.. lol
Back to top Go down
Rashanka

Rashanka

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 7:08 am

Don't laugh. It happens; and was the subject of my original post. There's no reason some sort of Racial modification couldn't be added intot he equation, assuming Tree feels like going to that effort of course.
Back to top Go down
TreeWalker

TreeWalker

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 12:42 pm

Adding Race or Alignment requirements to the conversation is not a problem. Hahaha.. Its just making that adjustment to.. and I kid you not.. over 120 different merchants in the Edge.
Back to top Go down
Rashanka

Rashanka

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 1:41 pm

Oh is that all?

Seriously, what's involved? Modifying the scripts, or is that the easy part? Having to go into each and every one of them I guess would be the killer. Still, perhaps you wouldn't need to alter them all. Maggie would probably sell her mother; if she hasn't already. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
TreeWalker

TreeWalker

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 2:04 pm

Actually I'd have to go into a lot of the conversation. For each merchant we'd want to update. Unfortunately, a lot of the stores are orignially scripted when we inherited the edge, I just updated their inventories... or not. Smile And creatively, a lot of those scripts are named ac_1 thru 110 (ac standing for the NWN default -onaction) So ironically, I have no idea which script belongs to which store without looking in the actual merchant conversation. Hahaha. Yeppers. There are times when I just want to rip everything out and start with just the pretty decorations. Can easily understand why Jon got so frustrated with the clutter.
Back to top Go down
Ranger of the Pubs

Ranger of the Pubs

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 5:39 pm

BTW Happy Valentine's day to you two lovely ladies. hehe
Back to top Go down
Rashanka

Rashanka

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 5:44 pm

Schmoozer. Razz
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 8:48 am

I was hoping to perhaps acquire some better shades of green dye for Strider at least hehe. If you look on the color palette its the eighth color down from the top left corner. From that one (including that one) this color set i believe ends at the third one over from there. Thank you! I love you
Back to top Go down
Fehrin

Fehrin

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 9:20 am

I'm afraid I'm guilty of this (not to a huge extent) but it's possible to, when getting a favorable check at the gem merchant, buy large amounts of monetary gems and re-sell, a royal with a favorable check sells for 9.3k, but the merchant will then buy-back for 10,700g, a net gain of 1,400g. It doesn't sound like much, but when buying 50 and re-selling, that's 58,000 (I believe >>), and if people take advantage of it they can easily cash up to ungodly amounts of money.

My suggestion, take appraise checks away from the Bank merchant NPC.
Back to top Go down
TreeWalker

TreeWalker

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 11:58 am

lol that figures. I will fix that one asap.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just going to throw these out there...   Just going to throw these out there... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just going to throw these out there...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Edge of LotR :: Suggestions :: Other-
Jump to: